Monday 6 June 2011

hits of the spring

Or, Oh! the never-ending pain of very expensive white dresses!

Photobucket
from Liebemarlene

So, the weather is still distinctly spring-like around here, but it's June, that means I refuse to wear tights as a matter of principle, and it must be time for a spring wrap-up. Top prize goes to Rhiannon, above, of making my white eyelet-loving heart do a little dance, but there was lots of stiff competition.

I simply envy:
Photobucket
from A Curious Fancy and Kennedy Holmes

I've had both of these saved for so long. I save pretty much everything Ragini posts; it was only a question of deciding which look to showcase. And Kennedy's 1950s beaded cardigan is pretty much the perfect spring layer: light, fun and warm!

Perfect Simplicity:
Photobucket
from The Other Emily and Tick Tock Vintage

Spring and summer are all about simplicity, but for me, summer is loose simplicity, and spring is slightly more structured. I loved Emily's neutrals paired with perfect peach espadrilles, and Veronika's seamless chic and blouse with the lovely neckline

Crop tops and funky sunglasses:
Photobucket
from It Girl, Rag Doll and The Styling Dutchman

I'm still not sure how me and my stomach are going to fully embrace this look, but somehow, it's going to happen. I really want Emily's John Lennon sunglasses and both girls tops.

Shifty:
Photobucket
from Mousevox Vintage and Tipa Tipa

Rachel looks lovely in a colourful shift and oversized hat, and Monique really goes the extra mile in this beautiful dress, perfectly accessorized, that she wore to her bridal shower.

Photobucket
from Lulu Letty
Last but not least, I think Maria's monochrome dress+wall+pug look speaks for itself!

26 comments:

Penny said...

i so wish I was in a sunny area, tanned or not (optional) and wearing such a lovely white dress!
and Monique looked amazing in her bridal shower!

Amber Schmidt said...

I want an expensive white dress.
Maybe I'll just wear a bedsheet and call it a day.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Haha! Oh, Amber!

Shybiker said...

Beautiful selection. And new blogs to check out!

Diana said...

i lovvvve the first dress!!! and i must say i am quite a fan of the cropped top + funky sunnies! great picks :)

http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

They all look so lovely! I really love Maria's dress in the last pic, but again, thay all look so perfect:) xx

sweet harvest moon said...

They all look so beautiful!

http://sweetharvestmoon.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

I love that first white dress SO much.

And...OMG a pug!!!! ahhhhh! hehe.

Closet Fashionista said...

Ooooh I am loving all of these!!! Such pretty looks and pieces :D
http://www.closet-fashioinista.com

km said...

the first dress is perfect!

xxx

Annalise said...

These are all such fabulous looks. I'll have to leave the tummy peeking looks to younger ladies though, unfortunately.
XOXO

Amber said...

i really like the crop top looks. Now I just need to do about a thousand sit ups and then I will rock that look too :)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@AnnaBananaCupcake and Amber:

Oh, I know. I think I'll be doing the crop top over a dress look. Or hunting for a skirt so high-waisted it goes up to my armpits. ; D

Sarah said...

Yes indeed, white dresses are very pretty. You can look very simple but still chic and cute. I love your selection!

x
Sarah

k said...

i wish i could look pretty like all of them for summer! i haven't found one good dress :(

Rebeccak said...

I love those white dresses - but you know, for some reason I always want to wear white in winter and not in summer. Maybe it is all you Northern bloggers?

Thanks for your comments! Yes I suppose I spend a lot of effort of thrifted stuff. I love seeing the possibilities in a 'not-quite-right' garment. I also finding altering and reconstruction much easier and much more rewarding than sewing from scratch!

M. said...

shift dresses <3

xx M

jess said...

Such great outfits. I love the white dresses.

Ashley/ MILK TEETHS said...

Rhiannon makes anything look good! Her blog was one of the reasons I got into the blog game, in fact ;)

kelsey louise said...

It's so unbearably hot where I live that it makes me wish for snow! Which is crazy. In the high 90s everyday but with our ungodly humity feels like a 105 at least. This has been going on for almost two weeks now. Yuck. IN OTHER NEWS

I read a comment that you made on Sarah McNeil's blog about Urban Outfitters, artist theft, etc. and I just have to say, I truly think you might be one of the most enlightened yet still down to earth bloggers around (at least that i've found so far!) I really appreciate your opinions which are aware but not pushy. Something i'm working on. Definitely not there yet, so thanks for the inspiration.

What i'm trying to say is, you're awesome. :) Haha. Hope you get whatever weather you're pining for!

Kelsey

Annebeth said...

aaaah I feel so honored for being mentioned among these BABES, love them all! yes, that beaded cardi still haunts my dreams. :(
about the photography: to get it to focus on me, I prefocus (-> start the timer) on something that is just as far from the lens as I will be, and then I put the camera in its right position and run to where I need to be :-D to get it blurry/sharp: my garden isn't deep enough to geth that blogger blur effect I love, so I edit my pics by roughly selecting myself+things in the same distance from the lense as me, invert selection, soften selection and blur. That way, everything out of my sharpness-range goes blurry and I get a fake blur :-D I like it, but I've heard people say it looks too photoshopped, do you think it looks sucky? :(

Annebeth said...

thanks for the tips, I'll play with it a bit more when I have more time and when I get my tripod+remote!

Closet Fashionista said...

(haha yep, a lot of my cheap stuff I wear a LOT too, I usually just use the cost/wear thing when its expensive so I don't feel as bad buying it ;) )
http://www.closet-fashioinista.com

kelli g. { bug miscellany } said...

gosh, there's nothing quite like a sweet little dress, is there?

love your outfit picks!

Emma said...

Really lovely selection, I LOVE the floral skirts and crop tops. x

Emmett Katherine said...

I like how you've used bloggers to showcase styles/looks you like. This is one of the reasons I LOVE reading blogs, seeing how real people style things. Enjoyable post, thank you.

I agree that spring/summer is about simplicity specically loose simplicity, it just seems so practical and natural.