Monday 22 October 2012

urban wanderer

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

God, Vancouver feels like a hundred thousand years ago now. Since I left two weeks ago today, I've been in three places, didn't document any of them, had a couple of my (usual) crises, and am now contentedly ensconced back in Barcelona... for the moment.

Anyway, I still wanted to share some pictures that were taken the last week, wandering around my usual haunts. Above are some shots in North Vancouver, where my family has lived since moving out West. I blame a lot of the "hate" side of my love-hate relationship on North Van, even though I have to acknowledge it's a pretty decent place to live. But it definitely dilutes your enjoyment of urban life having to trek in and out of a suburb, even if it is by scenic Seabus. I'm such a city person... (Albert, above, was kind of loving the tokens of suburbia around us... but then he grew up in a city).

Photobucket
Okay, crossing the water now...

Photobucket
Pizza on Seymour St.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Another day, we went to Granville Island. It's a big public market on a peninsula just across from downtown. I worked there for two or three years making jewellery, and all my best friends worked or studied there too, and I absolutely love the place. It's full of creative people, the Art University is just down the road, there are theatres and galleries and best of all is the market, home to some of my favourite things to eat in the city. On this day we took the unhealthy route: a burrito, chai teas from the tea shop (the best chai teas on the planet incidentally, with a recipe that includes butter) and doughnuts. Then we went to see a documentary at the Vancouver International Film Festival, and walked back to the Seabus down the Neon wonderland--or wasteland, depending on your view of falling-over-drunk-people--that is Granville St. at night.

Photobucket
The aquabus taxis are soooo cute (but such a rip off)

Photobucket

Photobucket
eyeing my doughnuts

Photobucket

Photobucket

7 comments:

Closet Fashionista said...

Ooh so many awesome sights!! I'm more of a country girl myself, ha ha...cities are just too crowded for me XD
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Ashley said...

Honestly that is one beeee-yooo-tiful city!

Kezzie said...

Lovely description!!!

Virginie Bardot said...

City Wanderer indeed! And country/continent hopping too! Can't wait to see what the next months hold in store for you and what beautiful places you'll be visiting.

Enjoy Barcelona for now!

Virginie xo

Monique said...

Somehow I missed that Albert came to visit, so great he could celebrate your birthday with you. Nothing like being steps from it all. I've only lived in a small college town and then NYC so I'm really curious about suburbs. Of course there are films but that can't really be how it is or is it? Being a language person I'm sure you'd appreciate this or perhaps you already know. Chai means tea. So when combined it's redundant... like saying, tea tea. Whenever people bring up chai I like sharing that tidbit. I use to tutor a boy whose family was from India and they'd often offer me homemade chai with black tea, cloves and cardamon it was creamy, sweet, spicy and delicious. I still haven't figured out how to make it as well as they did.
Monique

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Monique: Yeah, I guess it's just habit that makes me keep saying it. I usually say "Chai Tea" to differentiate from "Chai Lattes" which I find kind of inferior. :)

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

Wow. I am 100% behind any chai recipe that includes butter. I bet it was incredible!