Sunday 24 February 2013

la gente está muy loca, and other tales from tenerife

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Carnavallllll!!! Ages ago, my friend Amandine tried to convince me and a number of other people to come to Tenerife with her and celebrate Carnival. My reply went like, "hmmm, maybe, thinking about it, mmm money, probably not..." and then less than a week before thought "Oh what the hell, I'm GOING!" And I went. Which turned out to be a great idea. Costumes, all night street parties, colour, madness, music. Three days of that in the middle of February in a warmish climate (the Canary Islands are basically Africa, but it was windy) were just what I needed to get a big dose of joie de vivre. Tenerife is supposed to have the biggest Carnival after Brazil, and it was properly crazy!

Anyway, here's some pictures from the night carnivals. Crash course: men dressed like women, women dressed like angels or mice, everyone drinking rum and coke out of plastic bottles, everyone pretty much insisting you take their picture. "Why didn't you take a picture of me? Why didn't you use the flash? Are you a photographer? Add me on facebook!"

I started out the night sort of costumed as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz (this is Ruby Slipper Journeys after all), but somewhere along the way I acquired a pink wig which I'm completely in love with now!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Nerds was also a popular costume!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Batman waiting for his churros

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
A lot of straight boys letting their inner drag-queen out.

Photobucket

Then we walked back to our hotel by vomiting Snow Whites and traffic directions given by fake policemen, waved to the fallen angels in the park and headed to bed!

Photobucket

16 comments:

Amanda M. said...

Oh my goodness! This looks like so so much fun.

What great photographs.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

It was pretty epic!

chantilly said...

this looks like an *amazing* time. and i love your pink wig! i want one like that, only curly :) xx

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

They had a curly one too, but it made me look like a 1980s drag queen!

Anonymous said...

It was a GREAT decision to go ahead and make the visit. Tenerife is one of the places I've always wanted to see. I bet it's amazing...

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Gordianus: Yep! These are the kind of things you never really regret spending money on!

Nancy Wilde said...

Oh, boy, I'm not even into Carnival but you girls sure did have plenty of fun *envy* ahah! Gotta love night churros :)
xx

nancywilde.blogspot.com

Shanti Das said...

I'm jealous that looks like so much fun!

Closet Fashionista said...

Haha wooo!! That looks like so much fun! So many people though, I would die, ha ha
http://www.closet-fashionista.com

Anonymous said...

Cutest Dorothy ever! And lol the title made laugh so much, I know what song is that ha ha is so funny! Looks like the carnival was lots of fun, glad you went in the end.

Cee. ♥

Unknown said...

sounds like a lot of fun!!

Sisters Marie
Start your closet on BISTM!

Kezzie said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, I love it!!!! You loook sooooooooo cute!I am reaaaaaaaaaaaaally hoping I am getting some ruby slippers for my birthday!!!!!x

The Braided Bandit said...

This post is just the entertainment I needed during the last dreadful hour of office work on a Monday! I definitely dream of going to a Carnaval celebration at least once in my life. Love you dorothy costume, but especially like it with the wig- u could totally rock pink hair! My favorite has to be "batman waiting for a churro" though!
Hope you're having a great start to you week!
xo Hannah
thebraidedbandit.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

I love the energizer bunnies. Although, they put the wrong battery brand on their backs ;)

Is that your stripper wig? I'm going to call you Candy Cane now.

Rosalind said...

I do so enjoy your spirit of adventure - and this trip to Tenerife looks like the definition of adventure. Seems like a highly entertaining time for all too.

Oh, My Darling said...

Wow! This looks like such a blast! I love any reason to wear a costume and have a good time.